Further steps to help your puppy
- For outside noises like fireworks or thunderstorms, you can try to socialise them to noises as long as it is well away from the busy period.
- Using a sounds recording (available online) make sure to introduce gradually. Expose your dog to sounds of fireworks, rain, gunshots, thunder and much more.
- Start super quiet, really just at the volume they barely hear it.
- Day after day, increase the volume progressively and stop increasing the volume if they seem to react badly to it.
- Reward your dog when they respond well.
- This process can take quite a long time, so it's better to start long before or after the firework or thunder season.
- Seek more advice at puppy classes.
- If there is a sudden episode of thunder or fireworks, mask the noise by closing curtains and turning the TV/radio on, and distract them with toys.
Place the collar on your puppy right after adoption, and keep it on your puppy’s neck at all times.