Only scary if it's "new"
- Train your puppy to accept routine noises and other “scary” things (vacuum cleaner, washing machine, phone…).
- Give your puppy treats when they see or investigate scary things to help create a positive association.
- Distract your puppy with toys and reward calmness.
- Be patient, wait for your puppy to settle down.
The big bang
- For outside noises like fireworks or thunderstorms, training may not be possible.
- If your puppy reacts to loud noises, provide a crate or place to hide.
- Play recordings of storms or fireworks very softly and give your puppy treats to show them that good things happen when they hear the noise.
- Try to mask the noise by closing curtains and turning on the TV or radio.
Place the collar on your puppy right after adoption, and keep it on your puppy’s neck at all times.