The big bang
- For outside noises like fireworks or thunderstorms you can try to socialise them to noises as long as it is well away from the busy firework period.
- Using a sounds CD (available online). Make sure to introduce gradually. Exposing your dog to sounds of fireworks, rain, gunshots, thunder and much more.
- Start super quiet really just at the volume they barely hear it.
- Day after day, increase the volume progressively and stop increasing the volume if they seem to react badly to it.
- Reward your dog when they responds well.
- This process can take quite a long time, so better to do it long before or after firework season.
- Seek more advice at puppy classes
- If there is a sudden episode of thunder or fireworks to mask the noise by closing curtains and turning the TV/radio on and distract them with treats and toys.
Place the collar on your puppy right after adoption, and keep it on your puppy’s neck at all times.