Your dog is, as are all dogs, a highly social animal, feeling better and more confident when you are around. However, you can’t take them with you everywhere.
How can you tell if your dog is having issues when home alone?
Since you are not there, how can you know what happens? Ask your neighbours, they might hear some whining or barking. Check your door frames for scratch marks. Also your dog might leave some very obvious signs, like destroying your shoes, furniture, or soiling the house. Get a camera: there are many “doggy CCTV” kits that you could buy and you can then watch them while you are out.
So what can you do?
- Prepare your absence by giving your dog plenty of exercise before, and plenty of distraction during your time away
- Plug in an ADAPTIL Calm Home Diffuser to release “comforting messages” that will help your dog stay calm
- Avoid making a big deal about leaving and remain calm when you return
- Reward your dog when they settle down and are playing calmly with you around
Using an ADAPTIL Calm Home Diffuser will help your dog feel calm and relaxed when you are away.
ADAPTIL Calm Home Diffuser is clinically proven to reduce the signs of separation-related problems after just one month (when combined with advice from a behaviourist):
- 91% less destruction to furniture and belongings
- 75% less house soiling
- 65% less barking