WHAT CAUSES STRESS OR ANXIETY IN DOGS?
Dogs exhibit different signs of stress, depending on the dog and on the stressful situation. Typical signs of stress a dog can show are:
- It is normal for dogs to bark for various reasons however excessive barking can be due to confinement, frustration, lack of exercise or separation distress.
- Barking is very common in re-homing centres and kennels. Many rehoming centres use Adaptil Collars on every dog.
- Clearly it is best to address confinement, frustration and lack of exercise with increased space, further exercise and toys to occupy the dog.
- If your dog barks when left alone, please contact your veterinarian as they might suffer from separation distress, which requires a complete behavioural management program.
Adaptil can help to reduce barking in these situations.
- If your dog is not wet or cold, in pain or ill and he/shedog is shaking, shivering or trembling, this is more than likely to be stress related.
- Situations in which these happen are car travel, kennels, puppy's first night, veterinary visits and thunderstorms and fireworks (normally whilst hiding) and perhaps when home alone.
- These situations create stress for the dog and Adaptil can help diminish stress and calm dogs in these situations.
- Panting helps dogs cool off when they’re hot or after intense physical exercise.
- But panting can also be associated with many other causes, including severe medical ones, such as chronic illnesses, heatstroke, poisoning, etc.
- However depending on the context, panting can also indicate stress in dogs.
- Dogs are social animals so they like to be with a group. A dog may hide to get away from a stressful situation or a loud noise like storms or fireworks.
- Hiding can also occur prior to owner departure in dogs with separation distress, or when unfamiliar people come to the home.
- In the absence of food (or expected food) or a mouth injury then drooling indicates stress.
- This is typically seen when a dog is traveling in a car but can be seen at other times too.
- Adaptil Collar can help reduce the stress of car travel.
More serious dog stress signs
Agitation, Hypervigilance and Restlessness
- Agitated dogs often have a difficult time settling down and may jump up and startle at small noises.
- Hyper-vigilant dogs will pace, look out windows, follow people and seem always on alert unable to settle and relax.
- Adaptil can help improve these signs.
Soiling in the home
- Soiling indoors can occur for many medical reasons, so the first step is a veterinary visit.
- However, soiling in the absence of disease may indicate an anxiety condition such as separation distress or noise sensitivities.
Destroying household items
- Animals without appropriate outlets for play and exercise may chew and destroy household objects.
- They may also pull down window coverings, chew window frames and scratch doors from excessive reaction to events occurring outside windows when home alone
- However, an anxiety condition such as separation distress, loud noise sensitivities and other fears may cause a dog to destroy household items.
- A video of your dog home alone may help determine why the dog is destructive.
Excessive Licking and/or scratching
- If not due to an allergy or inflammation, excessive licking, grooming or scratching in dogs can be related to lack of appropriate outlets, exercise and enrichment and/or stress related behavioural problems (separation anxiety, noises and storms). This can result in injury as well as inflammation in your dog’s skin if licking does become excessive and the dog always scratches the same areas.
- Always consult with your veterinarian right away to manage any skin problems that occur.
- If the lack of appropriate enrichment and activity is the cause, then daily walks, dog toys, food dispensing toys etc can help to reduce the stress. These interventions are not a substitute for social interaction with family and other people.
Adaptil can help solve many dog stress signs linked to:
Measure how stressed your dog is.
The Adaptil Collar is easy to use and convenient as it releases the dog appeasing pheromone constantly (even when the dog...
The Adaptil Diffuser helps you nurture your relationship with your dog/s, by creating a loving environment for them and making...